Tuesday, February 3, 2009



I don't think it matters how old they are, how long it's been since you've seen them. It doesn't even matter if they were the oldest or the youngest or the middle child. Were they from a large family or small or maybe a medium one? It doesn't matter.

It doesn't matter because no matter what, If you are a Mommy, you will remain a mommy for the rest of your life. You will worry about your kids even when you're pretty sure that you're being ridiculous.

I have given birth to six beautiful kids so I am an expert worrier. When my daughter and her family get the Disney itch, I just don't figure into the short list of people to inform. They go, have a super Disney vacation with lots of pictures. Just perfect for a family with little boys who adore the Disney characters.....almost as much as their parents!!!!

Meanwhile, day after day goes by with no sign of my daughter.....not just my daughter, my very much pregnant with her first baby girl, daughter. The first week I was cool with it. I'm not an annoying phone caller, I'm a blog watcher. She isn't an everyday blogger so a few days not seeing anything is no big deal. I think that I actually made it most of the way through the second week before making the dreaded "Phone Call", I left a message. I didn't try again 'til just before my phone and Internet troubles began. By then it had been nearly 3 weeks, quite a long time for a Disney trip even for these die hard season pass holders. I was certain that something was wrong. Maybe with the baby, or maybe she was depressed, maybe I'd done something and made her not want to talk to me.

Today I finally reached her....and was chastised for all the worrying! They wanted to fit in one more Disneyland before they'll be tied down for a while with the baby. So I worried for nothing....or did I?

I didn't-

worry myself sick

bother others with my foolishness

leave a bunch of irrational phone messages

I did-

what any normal mom who loves her kids would do. I cared.

Do I care too much for my adult kids? As long as I keep remembering that there is no S in front of mother, it'll be fine. What do you think?

See you tomorrow.

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you're back! I was wondering about you. :)

    I don't think it's unusual to worry. Unfortunately, I'm not a mom; but I understand worry. I worry about my parents! lol
    I can say that when I was in my twenties, it wouldn't occur to me to inform my mom if I was going out of town. But, she is one to call all the time anyway.
    I have a feeling that once your daughter has her baby, she will TOTALLY understand your worry. At least, that's what I'm told.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do the same with my boys that are grown. I try to keep in contact with them by text messaging. They are usually really good to reply, but if they don't, especially after a few days, I start worrying. So far, I've always been right...a mother's intuition is very strong!

    ReplyDelete