Sunday, February 15, 2009

It's All About Jimmy

I want to say Happy Birthday Jimmy. He would have been 61 today. Here is a bit of his life, in pictures.
In the beginning, the first nine years,
he lived with his Grandparents and they
called him Ricky Archey. He remembered
his life back then as being a very
happy one.
When he was 9 months and 5 days old his brother Donald was born. Donald was a rebellious child and when the boys were 9, their mother decided that she wanted to bring her older son home to hopefully have a positive affect on Donald. Ricky now became Jimmy and began to join his brother in rebellion.
I just love all of the old pictures of Jimmy and his family. They help we to piece together the patchwork of stories I've been told by him, his mother and grandmother.
Just for the fun of it, I wanted to see how Jimmy and I would look together as kids. I didn't have pictures at the correct ages (6 years apart) but got as close as possible.








This is one of my favorite photos of Jimmy. He was busy working, doing my set-up. He always did my heavy labor for me, 'cause he was awesome like that. This was the lot in Park City AZ. I remember having good times there.









In Douglas AZ we were working the Cochese County Fair. We really wanted to get married in Mexico (a short walk across the border) but found out it isn't as easy as we thought it would be. The Preacher who gave the sermon at the Grandstand on Sunday morning was happy to perform the ceremony after services. My daughter Kymberly and the preachers wife were our witnesses.

Our first grandchild, Tyler Robert, was born on Jimmy's birthday. He said that was the best gift ever!!!









Who was the apple of "Little Papa's" eye? Number two grandson Jeffery Joel, that's who!! The fact that he lived with us for most of his first two years had a lot to do with developing that bond.
Mr Tough Guy turned into a cupcake when it came to that child!!!


Kimmy was Jimmy's first cat. He'd always been a "dog person". She was an awesome cat and it really tore him up when she died.


Here is another favorite shot of Little Papa and Jeffery Joel. I love this picture because of the way they are looking at each other. That is Pure Love.










I liked how we both had these pictures taken sitting on chairs where our feet don't even dangle over the edge. We were both a couple of shorties! It made a sweet layout with our wedding photo blended into the background.
We made a perfect couple with our natural good looks! They only let us out in public once a year. I wonder why?
When Jimmy first became ill he was in total denial,
but he did try over and over again to get sober so
that he might live a few extra years.
He finally was able to complete a 90 day inpatient
rehab program. Ten days after returning home
he became violently ill and ended up having emergency
surgery and in ICU. He ended up in a coma and all
tests showed that he was brain dead.
Eventually he did wake up, but was badly brain
damaged.

Instead of a husband, I was left with a ten year old child. Life was not easy for either of us. The last year being the worst.
The temper tantrums and running away from home!!! And that was just me! lol















I moved from Utah to Michigan on June 5, 2008. At the very last minute Jimmy wasn't able to make the flight and I had to leave him behind. If there were any way I could have stayed with him I would have. I was assured that he was just having a temporary setback and as soon as he could get a medical clearance to travel, they would put him on a plane.
He died 25 days later on June 30, 2008. My best friend and some friends from church went to be with him before he passed, so he wasn't totally alone. My guilt and anxiety overwhelmed me and I ended up in hospital myself.
I can still see the look on his face when I had to turn and walk away from him that day. It will probably haunt me forever. I broke a promise to both him and Jeffery Joel that day, and I will never forgive myself for that.
I hope you had a good one Jimmy! Marie, Jeffery Joel and I are still missing you.

1 comment:

  1. What a touching tribute...it brought tears to my eyes.

    Happy Birthday to Jimmy...

    ReplyDelete