Monday, January 26, 2009




Today is the beginning of the celebration for Chinese New Year! The Year od the Ox, 4707. The celebration lasts aprox. 15 days. It is based on the Lunar Calander so when it begins and ends depends upon the moon.
The calander is based on a 12 year cycle and each year is named for a different animal. This is the second year of the cycle, the first being the Year of the Rat. There is a really cool story about the Year of the Rat and why there is no year of the cat. If anyone is interested they can Google it, or ask me and I'll tell them.
The Chinese history and culture is quite fastinating. A lot of people follow their Astrology. I find it to be interesting but not reliable (just my opinion).
I had a lot of fun looking up everything "Chinese" so that I could post this. The most "funnest" stuff I learned was that I am a Water Snake and so were two of my husbands, Jimmy was an Earth Rat. Of my children they are one Wood Tiger, one Wood Rabbit, two Fire Dragon's, one Metal Rooster and one Water Dog.
The Chinese believe that this is a time of great celebration so no matter what your nationality, Let's raise a glass of your favorite beverage and give a toast to this New Year, The Year of the Ox! Cheers!
See you tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment